Section One, Entry 9: Mental Acts - Thought, Emotion, Imagination
By Lynda Madden Dahl
Seth tells us, "In your system of reality you are learning what mental energy is, and how to use it. You do this by constantly transforming your thoughts and emotions into physical form. You are supposed to get a clear picture of your inner development by perceiving the exterior environment. What seems to be a perception, an objective concrete event independent from you, is instead the materialization of your own inner emotions, energy and mental environment.”
Let’s start today by taking a truncated stroll down Seth Talk’s memory lane so we can set the stage for this entry’s subject and its implications. As you’ll recall, Seth says action is the creative force of All That Is from which all materializations come. Action only happens in the spacious present, which is the only time there is. Action is given direction through suggestion in the moment point. Suggestion, in other words, drives action, and action can be thought of as creation.
So what is suggestion? It seems a simple enough word with a rather clear definition, but like most things having to do with All That Is and creation, there are depths needed to be plumbed in order to understand its implications. This isn’t the time or place to explore all of its ramifications, but we can certainly get an overview.
Suggestions are mental acts that take on the significance of expectation. But then, what is expectation in this context? Sure, it means the biggies in experience, like the expectation that we don’t need health insurance or we can win the lottery. But it also encompasses the expectation that we can walk across the room without falling, or that our patio chair will be there when we awake tomorrow, or that there is indeed a room to walk across. Whether the suggestion is acceptance of an unquestioned root assumption or a free, new idea we come to embrace (such as a flu shot affords protection), suggestions create. And why? Because creation is driven by suggestion which drives action, which drives creation. All creation. Without suggestion (also called expectation by Seth), none of the examples in this paragraph can happen.
Our realities, then, are created and defined by suggestion, and suggestions are mental acts. Interestingly, mental acts are composed of a combination of these forces: thought, emotion and imagining. Take any other descriptive word for mental act, such as attitude or belief or intent or assumption or...well, you get the idea...and you’ll find they all hail back to a combination of those three basics.
Seth says, “You must understand that each mental act is a reality for which you are responsible.” So, let’s take a brief look at the three components of mental acts.
Seth calls thought an unsurpassable force. He says, “It is almost as if your thoughts punched the keys of some massive computer, for your thoughts do indeed have a force.” He also tells us that thoughts have a reality and psyche content that has form and shape, and when we finally perceive it, thought has taken on camouflage’s bulk. That is, it has become objects and events in our reality. And that is why Seth says, “Your subjective world causes your physical experiences. See your thoughts as the real events.”
To get a sense of the dynamic strength of emotion, here’s Seth: “Any strong emotion carries within it far more energy than, say, that required to send a rocket to the moon.” Emotions bring intensity to our thoughts, which makes the combination very powerful. Think “I am a victim” with emotion behind it, and we all know what happens. But think “I am a victim” as a passing thought, one not dwelled upon or emotionalized, and it grabs little to no creative traction. So thought and emotion work hand in hand to create expectations, positive or negative.
Seth says, “Your world and everything in it exists first in the imagination.” And, “Imagination and emotions are the most concentrated forms of energy that you possess as physical creatures.” So once more we’re introduced to an incredibly powerful force, one that, like emotion and thought, drives creation, one so awesome Seth says, “The imagination, backed by great expectation, can bring about almost any reality within the range of probabilities.”
And why do these three powerhouses – thought, emotion and imagination – have the heart of creation in their hands? Because they are what form expectations, also known as suggestions. And by now we well know that suggestion drives action, that without suggestion to guide it, action would become chaotic. So, all of what is created is thanks to suggestion. And suggestion is composed of mental acts. And mental acts are composed, to varying degrees, of thought, emotion and imagination.
And that’s why suggestion’s mental acts should rivet our attention. Seth says we haven’t learned to use our consciousness “properly or fully,” because we don’t understand that imagination, emotion and thought are not only not set against each other, but are forces that are joined at the hip and can be consciously used as such. And if there is one Seth quote that acts like a bridge between the concept of mental acts and the all-important practical using, it’s this one, mentioned in Seth Talk several times because of its overriding importance: “You must become consciously aware of what you tell yourself is true every moment of the day, for that is the reality you project outward.” And we don’t see anything as true unless it’s already become a suggestion.
Time to move on now to our Seth quotes of the day. And as an added bonus take a look at the last of the section of quotes called “Tips on Using the Power Behind Mental Acts.” Hope you get as much out of them as do every time I read them!
Seth on Mental Acts: Thought, Emotion, Imagination; & Tips on Using the Power Behind Them
- You must become consciously aware of what you tell yourself is true every moment of the day, for that is the reality that you project outward.
- You must understand that each mental act is a reality for which you are responsible.
- The large area of your mental activity is translated into physical terms.
- Altering the state of the psyche automatically alters physical circumstances. There is no other valid way of changing physical events.
- The organization of your feelings, beliefs, and intents directs the focus about which your physical reality is built. This follows with impeccable spontaneity and order.
- The manipulation of camouflage material depends to a large degree upon the outside ego’s confidence.
- The unsurpassable force of thought.
- Your subjective world causes your physical experiences. See your thoughts as the real events.
- It is almost as if your thoughts punched the keys of some massive computer, for your thoughts do indeed have a force.
- Your own thoughts have a reality that you do not understand, and their own kind of form, or psychic content, and this content exists not as pure energy, but as energy with form and shape.
- And when this content is perceived by you, then it has bulk.
- This means that your positive and healthy attitudes are physically manifest, as well as your unhealthy or negative attitudes.
- Thoughts of abundance affect the inner order of events.
- Your beliefs are like hypnotic focuses. You reinforce them constantly through the normal inner talking in which you all indulge.
- Each of you will find habitual thought patterns in your own life backed up by resulting action – conditioned behavior as it were – by which you continually reinforce negative aspects.
- Each of you is free to accept and develop, from the miraculous banks of reality, those experiences and emotions that you want, and to reject those you do not want.
- Any strong emotion carries within it far more energy than, say, that required to send a rocket to the moon.
- Emotional intensities and significances compose the nature of events. These are like charged emotional patterns, formed of your own highly personal emotions and intents.
- It seldom occurs to you that your feelings themselves might be primary, and that a particular event was somehow a response to your emotions, instead of the other way around.
- Any charged emotional feeling will almost immediately be made actual. Now this gives you an advantage, if you understand the principles.
- Since I have said that experiences are formed by the emotions, then it is obviously the basic emotions themselves that must be manipulated.
- Emotions are the problem, and not those elements that bring them about.
- Emotions form expectations. An expectation of danger will create danger. An expectation of success will create success.
- Your emotions trigger your memories, and they organize your associations.
- Your world and everything in it exists first in the imagination.
- Imagination and emotions are the most concentrated forms of energy that you possess as physical creatures.
- The true power is in the imagination which dares to speculate upon that which is not yet.
- The imagination, backed by great expectation, can bring about almost any reality within the range of probabilities.
- Your mental images bring about their own fulfillment.
- Your imagination can be of great value, allowing you to open yourself to new courses.
- Imagination plays an important part in your subjective life, as it gives mobility to your beliefs. It is one of the motivating agencies that helps transform your beliefs into physical experience.
- It is vital therefore that you understand the interrelationship between ideas and imagination. The proper use of imagination can then propel ideas in the direction you desire.
Tips on Using the Power Behind Mental Acts
- Form is the result of concentrated energy, the pattern for it caused by vividly directed emotional or psychic idea images. The intensity is all important.
- Mental images, accompanied by strong emotion, are blueprints therefore upon which a corresponding physical object, or condition or event, will appear.
- The intensity of feeling or thought or mental image is, therefore, the important element in determining its subsequent physical materialization.
- The more intense the core, the sooner the materialization.
- There is a wisdom and an understanding operating, a beautiful give-and-take in life between the intensity of a desire and its fulfillment.
- Now about the time lag on suggestions. This has nothing to do with time, but with the intensity of any suggestion, and any countering suggestions. The most intensive will triumph, though there may be obstacles in its way.
- While symptoms of any kind serve a purpose they are considered legitimate. The psyche will not remove them until the intensity of desire for freedom rises high enough to meet those purposes in other ways.
- The concentration upon a problem brings about a kind of mechanical repetition, a repeated type of hypnotic focus.
- You cannot equivocate. You have a will for a reason.
- It is no coincidence that the word “will” refers to the future, as in “it will happen,” and also refers to the decision-making quality of the mind.
- Spontaneously take it for granted that your acts will result in the most favorable circumstances, and that any given situation will have a favorable end result.
- Your psychological intents mobilize your energies on a psychic level.
- When the will is divided, the structure is divided.
- You cannot equivocate. You either trust the self or you do not.
- You cannot equivocate. You cannot say, “I live in a safe universe but but but but” anything
- Ask and you shall receive. Ask half-heartedly and you shall receive in exactly that measure.
- Expectancy and inner confidence always brings the best results with the least effort.
- The feeling of effortlessness is what is important.
- …if he does not seriously take steps to assure his inner self of his intentions…
- When you find yourself dissatisfied, question the orders you are giving in that particular arena of experience.
- The results do not seem to follow your conscious desires. But you will find that they do follow your conscious beliefs, which may be quite different.
- Remind him to remember that he does not have any particular disease…rather than dignifying negative concepts by giving them names and designations.
- As negative suggestions play their part, so do positive suggestions. Any connection with past periods of productivity or joy have immediate reference to the present.
- Suggestions made by the personality are also carried out by the sleeping self. This is one of the reasons why health suggestions given immediately before sleep are so effective.
- In the physical world, time may have to elapse, or whatever. Conditions may have to change, or whatever. But the desire will bring about the proper results.
- Framework 2 is a growth medium. Constructive feelings or thoughts are more easily materialized than negative ones.
- Odds and impediments do not exist in Framework 2.
- You can quicken your psychic experiences if you stop thinking of impediments.
- Minimize impediments in your mind and they do become minimized. Exaggerate them and – in your reality – they will quickly adopt giant size.
- One of the greatest detriments to mental and physical well-being is the unfortunate belief that any unfavorable situation is bound to get worse instead of better.
- An expectation of danger will create danger. An expectation of success will create success.
- To brood or worry or become resentful is regrettable. Over time, resentments X out large areas of otherwise productive experience.
- Enjoyment is a weapon. The man who is capable of joy is capable of changing his world.
- Natural optimism is a power in the individual and in the world. It believes in triumph, in pleasant, unpredictable surprises, in unexpected solutions, joyful occurrences. It is like the child’s anticipation of Christmas Eve, and it is biologically ingrained.