Section One, Entry 6: Suggestion/Expectation
By Lynda Madden Dahl:
Ahhh, we’ve finally reached a point in Seth Talk where we can start talking “practical.” There are, of course, overwhelming practical implications in everything we’ve looked at so far – from All That Is to the three creative dilemmas, to action, to the spacious present, to significances and subjectivity continuity. It’s all very practical for one main reason: the “whole” so far tells us precisely how creation happens. No more confusion, no more wondering, no more sense of being so overwhelmed by Seth’s concepts that we feel they’re almost beyond our grasp. That part of creation is now very clear. But there’s more to come today, and it will really knock your socks off.
The subject is suggestion. Suggestion? Well, yeah, it sounds interesting and all that, but knock your socks off?
Let’s back up for a moment and set the stage. In previous Seth Talk entries, we learned that All That Is is continually attempting to materialize some of itself, and that attempt results in action. Not motion as we know and define it, but the action of All That Is. In entry #1, Seth says, “Action is the breath of inner vitality (or All That Is), of which all materializations of any kind are composed.” In a nutshell, action is the result of the creative force of All That Is, or All That Is expressing itself in different forms and materializations. As Seth says, there is nothing anywhere, ever, that is not All That Is expressing itself as action, and that includes us.
Now we get to the intriguing part (as though knowing how All That Is creates is not intriguing enough!). What drives action? What directs action as to what to materialize? What force holds so much power that it calls creation’s shots? You got it – it’s suggestion!
Seth says, “Suggestion is indeed in the nature of an impetus, an inner impetus that belongs to action, and is not some force separated from action, and acting upon it. Suggestion, therefore, is one of the characteristics of action. (It) can even be termed the direction in which action itself moves.”
In fact, if not for suggestion, Seth says action couldn’t organize itself into anything constructive. He says, “Without suggestion, action would indeed involve itself in chaotic disorders, without constructive patterns of materializations. It would entangle itself within the power of its own energy.” In other words, chaos would reign in the spacious present.
So, suggestion is the controlling force of action. It’s what sets action’s course, it’s what determines what action will materialize – or will not materialize. Suggestion is the powerhouse behind all non-chaotic creations in the spacious present (which are all of them, because All That is doesn’t like chaos), and it applies to Seth’s creations as well as ours. In fact, it applies to all creations by any consciousness. Period. Because suggestion is the bottom line of what determines the course of action for all consciousness.
And what exactly is suggestion? It is mental acts that take on the significance of expectation. Suggestion, therefore, is the thoughts, feelings and imaginings that we (and Seth and all other consciousness) hold which have a built-in acceptance of outcome. In fact, Seth says the word expectation is a much better term than suggestion.
Don’t forget, all creation starts life as a mental act. If it cannot be thought, felt or imagined into existence through assumption or expectation, it will not materialize. And that applies not only to the big expectations we undertake, such as “I will buy a new house” (which has to be an expectation before it can become a reality); but also to every single ordinary moment-by-moment condition, object or event we encounter.
You cannot, for instance, pick up a glass of water unless you have the expectation that it can happen – indeed, that there is such a thing as a glass and that there is such a thing as water, and even that there is such a thing as movement (see Seth Talk entry #3). And you cannot exclude anything from this fact. The couch you sit on would not be in your reality unless you expected/assumed it to be there. When Seth says, “There are no walls to your house,” he’s saying they’re camouflage, found only in our private framework of reality, created through our mental act of expectation in the spacious present.
As we said, suggestion is, among other things, thought. Seth, for instance, in creating a chair for his rather famous library, has to place significance on the kind of chair he desires, and he does it through suggestion. And that’s how we do it, too, and not only with chairs, but with every object and event we experience. Suggestion defines significance, or what’s to be materialized.
And that’s why Seth calls thought an unsurpassable force. Not a force separate from action, but one that belongs to action. And because of the unrelenting direction in which suggestion heads us, Seth says, “You must become consciously aware of what you tell yourself is true every moment of the day, for that is the reality that you project outward.” And, “You must understand that each mental act is a reality for which you are responsible.”
Are we unequivocally on board with the fact that only suggestion determines the outcome of our individual realities? That all creation is mental? Good, because now we’re about to add the final knock-your-socks-off factor to suggestion.
First, Seth: “What you term negative suggestions are usually impeding actions, or directions of actions which impede the main directive inner flow. They operate then in much the same manner as crosscurrents, setting up blockages, and impeding main energies by dividing them in several diverse directions.”
So, imagine a thick trunk of action, or in ordinary terms let’s say it’s a goal with expectation behind it. (Seth calls a goal a conceptualized desire and says it will come to pass unless we block it through disadvantageous beliefs; i.e., negative thought with acceptance behind it.) That’s our main trunk of action and should by rights come into being.
But the potential problem? If we give our self negative suggestions – not even necessarily having to do with the main goal but tangential to it – those suggestions cause crosscurrents which divide the main action into several diverse directions, which weakens the main action (our goal) significantly.
Seth continues: “Until the energy, once again, becomes disentangled (from these negative suggestions), action will (continue to) flow in crosscurrents, and the main trunk of energy that gives overall integrity…could therefore be severely threatened.”
Jane’s overall bodily integrity was severely threatened because the main trunk of her energy was entangled in crosscurrents of the impeding action of negative suggestions. She didn’t end up in the hospital for 1 ½ years before she died because she couldn’t rid herself of some lifelong beliefs. There is no “lifelong” anything. What Jane did (and what most of us do) was to not manage her thoughts and feelings to her favor. And the result was that her negative suggestions were constantly made significant, creating her past and future from the moment point in the spacious present.
Seth again: “It is extremely important that methods be learned to let action follow its normal directive bent within the personality, therefore avoiding these abortive offshoots that impede main directives and purposes….”
This is a wake-up call for all of us. If we let our negative suggestions build without management they will impact what we really want out of life, because our main action will not be able to sustain itself.
And Seth finishes with this: “…When cross currents of action are constructed, action will continue in those directions unless it is diverted back to other channels. Then the…impeding channel will automatically be closed off. But all action must be withdrawn from it, for as long as the channel remains, then the possibility remains that the impeding action will reoccur.”
And if you’ve ever wondered why you think you’ve changed a belief and there it comes again, it’s because it has shown up in your conscious thoughts or emotions or imaginings as suggestion, maybe in different clothes than originally identified, but it had to be part of your thinking in some form – and the proof is because the channel remained open, or re-opened. No god did it to you, no inner self did it to you, no subconscious did it to you. Nothing trips us up but our own moment points of thinking and suggestions. Just as Jane’s did.
So, to wrap up this entry:
- Everything we’ve talked about so far in Seth Talk applies to all consciousness created in the three dilemmas, which is all consciousness, ever. None of it is specifically and uniquely directed to consciousness in camouflage physical reality. That is, creation always happens in the spacious present, it’s all started by All That Is, and it’s all about action and the suggestions given that direct that action into materializations.
- True, entities can and do at times choose to create camouflage frameworks in which it seems action takes place, but creation outside the spacious present is an impossibility. Ergo, the camouflage frameworks are meaningful in that they’re attempting to structure learning within a given context (think linear time/cause and effect, for instance, or even Seth’s framework, whatever it is), but meaningless if it is assumed that creation happens within them. It simply cannot, because it’s not the way All That Is creates.
- The reasons this is so important for us to understand are myriad, but the one to focus on now is that this knowledge helps us redefine the self. We no longer see our self as caught in linear time/cause and effect with few creation tools at our disposal that we can understand or use. Indeed, we create exactly like Seth or any other identity does, so we’re not at a disadvantage of some unknown sort by having chosen physical reality. That’s not where our vulnerability lies. If anywhere, it lies in our complete, unchallenged assumption of time being linear, and of the implications of the acceptance of cause and effect. Remember, creation cannot happen in physical reality. It is an impossibility. It can only look like it’s happening here.
All of this information is so profound in so many ways. One is that it sorts out all the misunderstandings of how creation happens, not only misunderstandings by non-metaphysical people, but by those in the New Age, too. And along with our sharper knowledge comes more than a glimmer of how we can practically apply it to our realities and know it will work, because we know how creation works.
The last of today’s words go to Seth: “To understand that you create your own reality requires an ‘awakening’ from the normal awake state. Realization itself does not change the ‘rules of the game.’ This recognition does indeed involve a new performance on the part of your own consciousness, a mental and imaginative leap that gives you control and direction over achievements that you have always performed, though without your conscious awareness.”
So, come back for the next Seth Talk entry, folks. It’s on the moment point/present, and will help us understand how to gain that control and direction that Seth mentions above, and that can lead to living a safe universe. See you then!
Okay, on to our marvelous Seth quotes for this session...
Seth on Suggestion/Expectation
- Suggestion is no more and no less than an inner willingness and consent to allow a particular action to occur; and this consent is the trigger which sets off the subconscious mechanisms that allow you to construct inner data into physical reality.
- The word expectation is a much better term (than suggestion).
- Generally speaking, no physical object can be constructed, and no action can occur, without what you are pleased to call suggestion.
- No action and no material object can be perceived without inner consent and willingness. Behind every action and every construction there is indeed suggestion.
- Expectations themselves have much to do with whether or not any given situation will occur.
- Your reality is at every point a perfect replica of your inner wishes and expectations. There are no exceptions.
- You must become consciously aware of what you tell yourself is true every moment of the day, for that is the reality that you project outward.
- What you call suggestion is but a projection into the (spacious present) of data that operates constantly, as a basis for, and within, action. It is basically a psychic manifestation that gives direction for action.
- Suggestion is indeed in the nature of an impetus, an inner impetus that belongs to action, and is not some force separated from action, and acting upon it.
- Suggestion is one of the characteristics of action. (It) can even be termed the direction in which action itself moves.
- These directions are merely the resultant patterns with which energy expresses itself.
- It is important that it be understood that suggestion is but the manifestation of inner flows and inner directions.
- Without suggestion, action would indeed involve itself in chaotic disorders, without constructive patterns or materializations.
- It would instead entangle itself within the power of its own energy.
- What you term negative suggestions are usually impeding actions, or directions of actions which impede the main directive inner flow.
- They operate then in much the same manner as crosscurrents, setting up blockages, and impeding main energies by dividing them in several diverse directions.
- Until the energy, once again, becomes disentangled (from these negative suggestions), action will (continue to) flow in crosscurrents, and the main trunk of energy that gives overall integrity could therefore be severely threatened.
- It is extremely important that methods be learned to let action follow its normal directive bent within the personality, therefore avoiding these abortive offshoots that impede main directives and purposes.
- When cross currents of action are constructed, action will continue in those directions unless it is diverted back to other channels.
- Then the impeding channel will automatically be closed off. But all action must be withdrawn from it, for as long as the channel remains, then the possibility remains that the impeding action will reoccur.